Here’s how it works right now: If I work hard I will be more successful. If I am more successful then I will be happier. And we keep upping the bar for success and happiness is never achieved.
This is the starting point for the TED Talk present by Shawn Achor who is the winner of over a dozen distinguished teaching awards at Harvard University, where he delivered lectures on positive psychology in the most popular class at Harvard. His research and lectures on happiness and human potential have received attention in The New York Times, Boston Globe, The Wall Street Journal, as well as on NPR and CNN Radio, and he travels around the United States and Europe giving talks on positive psychology to Fortune 500 corporations, schools, and non-profit organizations. Click here see the whole TED Talk.
He goes on to assert that your brain at positive performs significantly better than it does at negative, neutral or stressed. Your brain at positive is 31% more productive than at negative, neutral or stressed. Every single business outcome improves.
Find a way of becoming positive in the present. Dopamine not only helps you to be happier but it turns on all of the learning centers in your brain, allowing you to adapt to the world in a different way.
Research in companies had resulted in significant improvement in companies with these actions:
- 3 new things you are grateful for each day for 21 days in a row trains you to scan the world for the positive first.
- Journaling about one positive experience in the past 24 hours allow your brain to relive it.
- Exercise teaches your brain that your behavior matters.
- Mediation helps your brain get over cultural ADHD to focus on one task at hand – start with paying attention to your breathing for just five minutes today.
- Random acts of kindness – Write one positive email praising someone in your social support network.
“All of these create ripples of positivity and the Happiness Advantage”
- Better, more secure jobs
- Better at keeping jobs
- Superior productivity
- More resilient
- Less turnover
- Greater sales
Still not convinced you should seek Happiness before Success?
Or perhaps don’t know how to convince your Board to focus on Happiness in your performance review – Talk to me!
Free Discovery Session – No strings attached – Happiness guaranteed!